If you want to learn how to make these delicious, velvety, melt in your mouth Oreo truffles, stay tuned and see just how easy they are to make, and did I mention that they only require 3 ingredients! yup, only 3! and you will be so amazed just how addicting these turn out to be, they are so good!
*1 Pack of Oreo Cookies
*1 package of cream cheese,(8oz.) softened at room temperature.
*Chocolate Chips (I use the ready to melt Bakers dipping chocolate, the container is microwave safe, so you just pop it in for a minute or two and you have your melted chocolate ready to go!)
* Baking pan/tray lined with parchment/wax paper*
*Mini cupcake liners
- What I like to start with first is taking out my cream cheese and setting it aside while I prepare the crushed Oreos. You want your cream cheese to be softened at room temperature.
- The quickest way for crushing your Oreo cookies is to use a food processor. Unfortunately for me I don’t have a food processor yet, so I just go for the old-fashioned way of placing my cookies into a large ziplock bag and breaking it all down using a dough roller. This process takes a little more time and patience, but in the end, it’s all worth it. You can just toss the entire cookie into your processor and blend it down, make sure you break down any extra big crumbs of cookie. (In my picture above you can see I take an extra step of removing my cream from the cookie. I STILL add the cream into the mixture, but after I crush the cookies. This is totally optional. I choose to do this because I find that the cream sticks too much inside of the bag and also, I like to save some the softened cookie crumbs for garnish.) The consistency of it all is very similar to ground up coffee, this is was gives the truffles its smooth velvety texture.
- Next, place your crushed oreo cookies into a mixing bowl and add your softened cream cheese. Mix both ingredients together until you reach a dough form.
- Once you have your two ingredients well mixed together,use a spoonful of your dough to manually roll into a round, bite-sized ball.
- place your oreo balls onto a baking pan/tray lined with parchment paper or wax paper, then place in refrigerator to firm before dipping. I like to keep mine in for at least 45 min to an hour, it helps to keep them firm and not fall apart on you while getting dipped into the warm, melted chocolate.(I learned my lesson the hard way of not letting them cool long enough in the fridge before dipping.)
- While your oreo truffles are cooling in the fridge, this is a good time to prepare your melted chocolate. Melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or use a double boiler, whichever way works best for you.
- Next is the fun part! be prepared, in this step, you will find yourself eating loads of melted chocolate, lol it can sometimes get a bit messy during the dipping process but hey I don’t complain lol. I find it easy for me to use a toothpick to stick through my oreo ball to hold and dip into the chocolate. Once dipped, tap the stick on the edge of the bowl to shake off any excess chocolate.
- Transfer the dipped oreo balls onto your pan lined with wax/parchment paper and return to the fridge until the chocolate hardens.
And there you have it! these oreo balls are so so good and just melt in your mouth. Perfect dessert for any chocolate lovers out there. You can place your chocolate truffles in mini cupcake liners and add sprinkles,drizzle more chocolate ontop or even add leftover cookie crumbs for garnish.There are so many different ways to add a little extra goodness to these bite-sized treats. ENJOY!!!
Here are a set of some customized oreo balls I have made in the past for very special occasions. One for a high school graduation, and the other for a baby shower:) To add color, you just simply use white chocolate and add food coloring:)